How you view the world can affect the opportunities you see, your expectations, and ultimately your success.
As an entrepreneur, you can choose to see the world as a place of abundance or a place of scarcity. One is certainly more optimistic than the other and is much more likely to lead you to the success you dream of. Your view of the world is very different if you choose one over the other.
You might not even be aware whether you have an abundance or scarcity mindset, in which case, this post will help you identify some of the common beliefs associated with each.
An abundance mindset is hopeful, positive, and expects the best. It is also more altruistic, since you believe that you’ll receive what you need. It frees you up to do more for others. Entrepreneurs with an abundance mindset are far more likely to be successful.
A scarcity mindset, on the other hand, leads to negativity and selfishness. You feel the need to look out for yourself, even at the expense of others. Entrepreneurs with a scarcity mindset are more likely to fail in business.
The good thing is, even if you do identify with scarcity mindset traits, you can get to work on changing it!
Viewing the world from a position of abundance has several positive effects on your life:
An abundance mindset believes that there is plenty to go around
- You believe there is plenty of money in the world and plenty of opportunities in general.
- The world is limitless to you and you see success as something that everyone can achieve.
- A scarcity mindset believes there is a limited supply of everything, and that someone else must lose in order for you to win.
- People who have plenty are seen as greedy or selfish.
Life is easier with an abundance mindset
- You believe that anything is possible.
- You’re willing to try and you expect things will eventually go your way.
- If you have a scarcity mindset, you believe that life is difficult.
- You see success as being harder than it really is.
- You expect the worst and might convince yourself that it’s pointless to even try.
- It’s much more challenging to be successful with a scarcity mindset.
Opportunities are easier to see when you expect to find them
- An abundance mindset makes opportunities more visible.
- Your expectations are often met in life.
- If you believe opportunities are scarce, you’ll struggle to find them, even if they’re right in front of your face.
- On the rare occasion opportunities present themselves to you, you find excuses not to explore them further.
You take more risks with an abundance mindset
- You believe the likelihood of success is greater, so you take more risks.
- The more you risk, the more you stand to gain.
- You also potentially have more to lose, but that’s part of the game.
- Those that are bold tend to outperform those that are timid.
- You’re more likely to play it safe if you view the world from a position of scarcity.
- You’re more afraid of losing what you have since you believe it will be difficult to get it back.
Those with an abundance mindset are more relaxed
- When you believe the world has everything you need, you can relax and enjoy life.
- You view the possibilities as endless.
- Your overall viewpoint of your life is more positive.
- A scarcity mindset results in fear and pessimism.
- You believe you have to fight the world to get what you want and need.
- You have to vehemently protect what you have and selfishly keep it to yourself.
Do you think your view of the world is one of abundance or scarcity? If the latter, it might be time to make some small steps towards living a more positive and abundant life.
One of the best ways to start viewing the world with abundance is to give more. You can give money, your time, or give away a few of your possessions. Giving will enforce the idea that there is always enough to go around.
Ways you can start embracing a more abundant mindset today
- Pay a stranger a compliment
- Give your old clothing or belongings to charity
- Set up a regular donation to a charity you support
- Invite a friend to dinner and pay the bill
- Journal every day and write down 10 things you are grateful for
- Volunteer for an hour or two a week
- Send a friend some flowers, just because
- Make a small, low-risk investment
- Use positive abundance affirmations
- Set intentions to live a more abundant life
Abundance will flow into your life if you allow it.Expect your every need to be met. Expect the answer to every problem, expect #abundance on every level - Eileen Caddy Click To Tweet
After holding an abundance mindset for a few months, contrast that with your previous experience with scarcity and notice how different it feels.
Are you aware of whether you have an abundance or scarcity mindset? We’d love to know your thoughts on this, comment below.